A meme. Nicked. As always.
1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
Swore out loud. Stayed at home alone for more than a couple of hours (two days and I was sick the whole time...), told my brother that I love him and am proud of him, worked a job (sort of...), managed to make some new friends without having someone introducing us in real life.
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Not really. I have had the same ones since I was about 10 - be kinder to my parents, be more patient with Mum, tell people I appreciate them more, stop being socially awkward and shy, get a proper job, work harder academically, keep room clean for more than a day, figure out how you really feel about God and church and stuff.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yeah. Two of my cousins. I'm yet to see the babies but I can't wait.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. My dear grandfather and a lifelong friend of the family from church, Tim. Both ridiculously sudden.
5. What countries did you visit?
Australia. I've never been out of my home country...
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
More friends. Courage to be honest. Money. A mother who acts like she ought to. More patience and less jealousy.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory and why?
4th September - I got a letter from Sarah, Liz and Pippa (and Dannichu). It was the first time I'd received a letter from a friend ever and I almost cried. It was utterly lovely and I read it far too often. It meant a lot to me and made me so glad that I'd gotten over my shyness enough to talk to people online at least.
4th November - I have a recording fom this date that means a lot to me. It was a first. And I can't say more. But thanks to those who made it happen. I hope you know how much being able to listen to it means to me.
20th November - my grandfather's funeral. The first funeral and burial I've gone to besides one when I was really little. Hard but worse as just over a week later I was back in the same place.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I don't remember any particular achievements, to be honest.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I disappointed people and made them angry. I went shitter than ever academically and have been even more lazy. I have lost more real life friends and I don't know how to get them back or make new ones. I haven't mastered the art of contentment.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I was sick for a week in April and didn't eat the entire week. Didn't lose even an ounce which pissed me off. :) Otherwise, no.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Bought? Hmm. The only things I have bought are DVDs, old articles and books. Any and all of those are HIGHLY valued and enjoyed often. I don't buy things that I won't get any use out of or enjoy. Hence, everything I have bought is the best.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My brother's. I am so, so, so proud of him. He has made the best friendships and he's not afraid to open up to them and listen to them as well. They trust and depend on him and he on them. It's wonderful. He's kind and generous and even though I'm almost certain he's in physical pain a lot of the time (undiagnosed as of yet) and he suffers depression sometime, he's always willing to do anything for his friends. Also, my Dad gets kudos for being the teacher at school that everyone loves and respects and also for being such a pillar of strength when his dad was dying. He was wonderful and I wish I'd been able to tell him how proud I was. He told me every night for weeks he'd be at his desk crying and yet he made the most wondeful, moving eulogy. It was the second time I'd cried in public. Then just over a week later he had to make another eulogy. Again, he was very touching and open and unafraid. I'm so proud of both of them.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My mother's, unfortunately. I'm just fed up of it all.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Ha. My tiny amount of money has gone on presents for people, a few DVDs, some articles and some secondhand books.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I get really, really, really excited everytime a download finishes, everytime I get to talk to one of you, everytime I read an interview with someone I like, every time I received something in the post and that's it.
16. What songs will always remind you of 2009?
None. I don't really identify many songs with years because I listen to a fairly wide range of stuff and almost none of it is new.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you...
i) happier or sadder?
Hmm. Bit of both - for different reasons. Right now - happier.
ii) thinner or fatter?
About the same. Thankfully, I managed to avoid putting on more weight.
iii) richer or poorer?
The same. I have no money.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Written nice things to people, been kinder to those around me.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Wasted time instead of doing uni work, whingeing.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent it at my house, with some family over (the big family bash was the day before) wishing I had a new DVD to watch.
21. How will you be spending New Year's Eve?
Probably be at home on the computer or waiting for Stephen to get off and so reading or watching a DVD while I wait.
22. Did you fall in love in 2009?
23. How many one night stands?
24. What were your favorite TV programs?
Too many to list so I won't bother.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate last year?
I don't and never have hated anyone. Despised the character of them and disliked them thoroughly, yes.
26. What was the best book you read?
I really don't know. I am hopeless at 'best this' and 'best that' type questions because my mind continously changes.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Hmm. Dunno. I was very pleased to finally realise who The Beatles actually were and have gotten slightly addicted to listening to everything they did.
28. What did you want and get?
I got new friends. And some books/DVDs.
29. What did you want and not get?
Money. A trip to the UK. More real life friends. A more united family. Contentment.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I haven't been to the cinema for 2 years. I don't get to watch many films. Don't remember watching any films I'd never seen. Oh, actually. The 39 Steps. And Hot Fuzz. Both were marvellous.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Nothing. I got a few presents. And went to the library to use their internet. I was 19.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If I'd gotten to go to London.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
My what??? I don't think I have one of those. I wore what I wore last year, not being able to get any new clothes this year. As always they were plain, untrendy and not tight-fitting.
34. What kept you sane?
You all. And comedy.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Not saying. :) Actually, it's just that my opinion changes on that ALL the time depending what I'm watching, reading or looking at a particular moment.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
I only really got interested in politics the last few months of this year but found the whole BNP/Griffin/Question Time thing fascinating.
37. Who did you miss?
I missed being close to people in real life. I wish I had a proper friend or two.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Oh. I couldn't possible put any of them above another. All of you are lovely and I'm just counting 'meeting' as it has to be because I haven't met anyone new in my real life. The internet wins.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009:
Contentment with your life isn't easy. But being pleased for others is a wholly satisfying feeling.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
41. What was your favorite moment of the year?
Getting my letters and gifts and so on from you guys. And getting a hug from someone I know. It was odd but nice to have someone hug me.
42. What was your least favorite moment of the year?
When I went to see Grandpop at the hospital. And when I watched his coffin being lowered. And all those days where life was just miserable.
43. Where were you when 2009 began?
44. Who were you with?
Myself. I was in my room.
45. Where will you be when 2009 ends?
Probably at home.
46. Who will you be with when 2009 ends?
Probably myself though the rest of the family might be in the house as well.
47. What was your favorite month of 2009?
48. Did you drink a lot of alcohol in 2009?
None. Never have had any.
49. Did you do a lot of drugs in 2009?
Nope. Never tried any.
50. How many people did you sleep with in 2009?
None. Never done that either.
51. Did you do anything you were ashamed of this year?
Yes. Lied to my parents far too many times. And wasn't sympathetic enough to Mum when our friend died - I was in shock. Also, disappointing people.
52. What was the worst lie someone told you in 2009?
I don't think it's true but having my sister repeatedly telling me she hates me and having Mum saying over and over again throughout the year that I'm the worst, least obedient, laziest child she knows hurt an awful lot. Also, when I found out that while my friend had said she didn't do anything one night it tuend out her and all the rest of my old school friends had gone our for a meal together. :(
53. Did you treat someone badly in 2009?
Loads of people. I was selfish, arrogant, egotistical, cold, unsympathetic, lazy, a whinger, a liar and loads of other things which hurt people.
54. Did someone treat you badly in 2009?
I couldn't say.
55. How many concerts did you see in 2009?
None. I've never been to a concert or live performance/gig of any kind.
56. Did you have a favorite concert in 2009?
57. How much money did you spend in 2009?
58. If you could go back in time to any moment of 2009 and change what?
I don't know. I think I would have summoned up the bravery to have gone straight over and sat by Grandpop's side and held his hand. instead of staying at the side of the room.
59. What was your most embarrassing moment of 2009?
I embarrass myself far too often. Everytime I say something almost.
60. What are your plans for 2010?
Get a job. Improve my uni grades. Get some money. Be kinder to people. Send more letters. Be a better person. Go to London. I doubt any of these things will happen but one can always hope. It's the stuff I live on, dreams.